The Mustering Rules
Welcome to the inaugural running of the ACT of Heresy 30K painting challenge; The Mustering. The Mustering is an open event for participants from across the globe to encourage and motivate players to expand and paint their armies ready for the table top. The challenge is to paint legal units for your preferred faction(s) over the course of the event to the best of your ability. Each completed unit will add their point’s value to the factions total and the faction with the highest total at the completion of the event will be declared the winner (with all associated bragging rights).
To reward the participants at an individual level there will also be a series of monthly Inspections; mini competitions based around a certain theme in which the participants themselves vote on for a final five which are then judged, the winner receiving a small prize and associated title. In addition there will be a number of achievement awards at the end of the event which have nothing to do with the quality of the painting (for those of us who aren’t Golden Daemon painters).
A PDF version of these can be found here
- Eligible Participants: All participants must be registered users of the www.aus30k.com website, being the platform where all entries will be displayed, viewed and judged. While the website is a Wiki, only registered users can make modifications to the pages (to prevent spambots) and so all entrants must be registered in order to maintain their entry profiles.
- PACTs: Each participant MUST declare the Faction for which they are supporting via a Pact (PACT), committing that they will build and paint the listed units for the nominated faction supplying them with the associated number of points as per the relevant army list. PACTs cannot be modified once they have been created. Each PACT must contain pictures of the units in their base state (unpainted) in addition with pictures showing their progress and completion.
- Units: Each PACT must contain at least one or more legal units for the army list appropriate to the Faction nominated. The points value attached to the unit is for the base unit plus any extra models added, if the unit has a variable limit, but does not include any special weapons or other upgrades even if they are represented on the models.
- Making additional PACTs: A participant may create as many PACTs as they like for as many Factions as they like. Each PACT can be of varying units quantities but only completed PACTs will count towards the final tally, so think carefully before making a PACT Horus to supply him with a 5,000 point army!
- Inspections: Each Inspection will have its own set of criteria in regards to entry and judging but is only open to models which are part of existing PACTs. In addition all entries must have their images uploaded to the www.aus30k.com site and not rely on direct linking to another source.
- The Winners: The overall faction winner of the Mustering will be determined by the total number of points contained in all of the completed PACTs which supported them at the end of the event. Individual winners of the Inspections will be determined by a combined vote open to all registered users of the www.aus30k.com website from which, the top five will be judged by a panel who will allocate points in order of preference; the entry which scores the highest combined points is the winner.
Timing of the Event
Opening Date: June 1st, 2015
Last Date for PACT creation: November 30th, 2015
Ending Date: December 31st, 2015
All participants must have created their PACTs before midnight (AEST) on November 30th 2015, after this date the function to create additional PACTs will be disabled on the website. All PACTs must be updated and set to complete before midnight (AEST) on December 31st 2015 for their points to contribute to their associated factions, the PACTs will be locked after that time.
- Inspection 1: Swell the Ranks (June 1st – 30th)
The entry must comprise of a single squad of infantry at MAXIMUM size if there is option to add additional models. For example a Legion Tactical Squad must consist of 20 Marines.
- Inspection 2: Heraldry of War (July 1st – 31st)
A model (or models) with something extra representing the Faction it belongs to (i.e. a Banner, Standard, Freehand icons), the model(s) can be infantry, vehicles or even an abstract item used as an Objective marker or suchlike.
- Inspection 3: Adapting to the Battlefield (August 1st – 31st)
A model (or models) which have had some level of conversion on them; while a simple head swap will qualify, it may not get many votes. This also includes complete scratch builds as well.
- Inspection 4: There can be only One (September 1st – 30th)
A single Independent or Unique Character model, this also includes any HQ characters that do not have the Independent or Unique Character rule but can only be taken by themselves.
- Inspection 5: Engines of Battle (October 1st – 31st)
A unit which comprises of either the unit type Vehicle, Monstrous Creature or Gargantuan Creature, this includes Super Heavies, Flyers, vehicle squadrons etc.
- Inspection 6: Engage the Enemy (November 1st – 30th)
The entry must contain some evidence of the enemy; it can be a duel underway (or recently completed), enemy casualties or other signs that the enemy has been engaged.
All entries into the Inspections must be uploaded and linked before the end of the respective time frame. All voting will be open for the week (7 days) following the last day of the Inspection entries and final judging will be the second week following that. The winner will be announced in the middle of the following month, each Inspection flyer will have the exact dates outlined. The prize for each Inspection is a gift certificate from Secret Weapon.
In addition to the five Inspections there will be a number of achievement awards which will be announced at the conclusion of the Muster. These awards are not focused on the quality of the painting but rather the contribution the participants have made to the event and their faction(s) overall. Only completed PACTs will be taken into account for the below awards.
- Master of Recruits - Contributed the most points to the Mustering overall (irrelevant of Faction(s))
- Master of the Forge - The single largest PACT (in point’s value)
- Champion of the Legion - The lead contributor (in point’s) to the winning Faction
- Touched by the Warp - Randomly selected from all of the completed PACTs
- Logisticae Agent - The participant who contributed to the most Factions (points in case of a tie)
The Mustering is set in a time before the Heresy, before the rise of the Warmaster and when everyone was all getting along, happy to be persecuting Xenos instead of attempting Regicide. For the Factions and scoring, there are no Loyalists or Traitors; it is a challenge to see which Faction can muster the most forces on behalf of the Imperium.
|Legio I||Legio III||Legio IV||Legio V||Legio VI||Legio VII||Legio VIII|
|Legio IX||Legio X||Legio XII||Legio XIII||Legio XIV||Legio XV||Legio XVI|
|Legio XVII||Legio XVIII||Legio XIX||Legio XX||Imperial Army||Mechanicum||Questoris Familia|
Each PACT which is made must be made in support of one of the above faction and must conform to their available unit lists. For example you couldn’t create a PACT for the Mechanicum which included a Legion Tactical Support Squad. All of the points from completed PACTs will then contribute towards the total points of the relevant Factions.
- Each PACT must be created on the www.aus30k.com website after the opening date and before the last date for PACT creation.
- A valid Faction must be selected.
- All of the units which are going to be painted as part of a PACT need to be listed at the creation.
- Images of the units being listed in the PACT must be included at the time of the PACT creation and show them in an unpainted state (base coated is permitted).
- Each unit listed within the PACT must have a corresponding point’s value appropriate for the Faction being pledged for WITHOUT any optional upgrades except for additional members of the squads.
- A PACT composition cannot be modified once it has been created, i.e. more units cannot be added, units cannot be removed and the Faction cannot be changed.
- Once the PACT has been completed and the units have been fully painted, an image of those units needs to be attached to the PACT before it is set to complete.
- Participants can create as many PACTs for as many Factions as they like throughout the event and can have more than one PACT open at a time.
- The model must have been painted by the entrant themselves.
- An image of the model in its completed state must be uploaded to the website, direct links are not permitted.
- Digital editing of the image is not permitted, if the original image from the PACT has been edited (photoshop or suchlike) an alternative image must be provided with the model on a plain background.
- A participant may submit multiple entries into an Inspection.
Conversions, Counts As & Scratch Builds
Conversions are not only allowed, but are strongly encouraged; they add a unique element to the model/unit and can often set them apart from countless others with a simple modification. Likewise Scratch Built models or models which are normally utilised for another role are also permitted, but must clearly represent the unit which it is being substituted as.
Special Characters must either use their actual model or be converted to make them appear closer to the character they are representing. For example a standard Tactical Marine cannot be nominated to represent Alexis Polux (or Alpharius!).
Evidence of Progress
The photos attached to the online PACTs must clearly show the nominated units/models in a stage before painting has begun with some form of evidence of the date and a completed stage. Additional photos of in between progress are not required but are welcome and encouraged to help build up a sense of momentum and to allow observers to comment and encourage participants. Digital modifications are permitted for PACT images, like photo shopped backgrounds and suchlike as these final images will not be judged. If you do this however and you intend to enter that unit into an Inspection, make sure that you have an image without Digital modifications.
PACTs may include any commission work which they have contracted out, as long as said commission did not start before the events commencement date and evidence of progress is included as required. However commission work is NOT permitted in the Inspections!
Q: Are dedicated transports legal entries in their own right?
A: Yes they can be entered as standalone entries for the points mentioned in the relevant section of the list or entered as part of a larger PACT.
Q: What about allies?
A: Allies must be entered into their own PACT with the correct faction nominated. For example if you are painting some Sons of Horus allies for your Word Bearers, you would need to create a separate PACT of the Sons of Horus and those points would go to their Legion, not the Word Bearers.
Q: Can I include weapon upgrades or variants into the points total?
A: No, you do not include any upgrades like Special Weapons, Artificer Armour, Extra Armour, Sponsons etc into the point’s total. Each unit is calculated based on their base points without upgrades; the only exception is if you can add additional members to the squad.
Q: Do I have to complete my first PACT before starting another?
A: No, you can have as many PACTs active as you want.
Q: Do all of the units in the vow have to be from the same faction?
A: Yes! Every unit/model included in a PACT must be for the same Faction, if you have allies or other units which you want to paint, you can simply create another PACT.
Q: Most of my PACT was complete do I get partial points?
A: No, the entire PACT must be completed for it to count, sorry.